Thursday, March 21, 2013

A little light housekeeping. Or, cutting out the spam.

Since the end of last year, I've been getting more and more spam comments on the blog. Most of them are pretty harmless, pretending to be interested readers who leave awkwardly worded tidbits and then invite us to visit their spammy web page about how to make money working at home and other such intriguing content. I've been able to delete and report them without too much effort on my part but after one particularly vulgar comment the other day, I decided to turn on the image verification tool in the comments form to try and cut down on the nonsense.

Apologies if anyone was surprised or offended by that comment, or is annoyed by having to use the image verification. It's not my favorite thing either and I was hoping I wouldn't have to use it here, but I hope you'll understand and keep leaving me lovely comments! I just hope that now you can visit the comments section with confidence that you won't be solicited to click on any evil links. Please feel free to tell me nice things like:

"I've been browsing online more than three hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It is pretty worth enough for me. Personally, if all site owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the internet will be much more useful than ever before."

Or helpful tips like:

"Have you ever considered about adding a little bit more than just your articles? I mean, what you say is valuable and everything. However, just imagine if you added some great visuals or video clips to give your posts more, "pop!" Your content is excellent but with pics and videos, this website could undeniably be one of the most beneficial in its niche."

Because the spammers won't anymore and I really enjoyed those morale boosters...

2 comments:

  1. I like you site. Maybe you can update look by come to my site with help I know we can work together find solution. Even I have dating tips on site like great hair product and affordable gowns. Haha. I kid. It's really me, Melissa! Just thought I'd try to exercise my own spammer-phish-speak skills. Glad you got things sorted out. I never know whether I should leave comments here or on your Facebook link. I guess now I know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaaa I love it! Your blog is pretty worth enough for me, too. Also Melissa makes a very believable spammer. A nice writing exercise for the digital age :) I don't think anyone will mind proving they're human to leave comments. That's the world we live in, after all..

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Kind words only, please...