Thursday, January 24, 2013

DIY-Style Maternity & Newborn Photos

Although I would have loved to do maternity and newborn photo shoots with both Alice and Ivy, the reality is that it's just not an affordable option. Especially in Los Angeles, and especially not when I don't have any good leads on photographers. And especially twice times. So I'm trying to improve my own skills and make time for photo opportunities. Maybe that should be my resolution this year; to make more opportunities and to stay in the picture. That thought just formulated right now as I was typing, and I think it's a keeper.

Anyway, for less than the price of an expensive photo shoot, we bought another great lens (at a great value!). We don't get a lot of natural light in our house, so a fast lens makes it possible to take photos inside at all, let alone after dusk. As soon as it arrived on our door step, we headed down the street to the little "park" by our bike path to get some shots of Alice and the baby bump before we lost the chance.
 
And now that Ivy is home, I've been thrilled to be able to take better photos of her inside our house. 
A dear friend of mine was in town for a weekend and I was so happy that she reserved a whole day to play with us since I hadn't seen her in ages and ages. Who am I kidding, she only wanted to snuggle brand-new Ivy and play with Alice. She helped me set up a great photo shoot with my two sweet girls and we had so much fun we almost weren't joking when we said we should start a business. She was the best newborn shoot partner ever, keeping Ivy all snug and secure and asleep. I love these photos and want to spend more time taking more like them.
One of my big pre-Christmas maternity leave projects was making stockings for the whole family. I started with Ivy's, to make sure that it would be ready whenever she was. Unfortunately, I didn't get to hang it up before Christmas, since I didn't want it to give away the name we were keeping secret. Even though she arrived after Christmas, I still wanted to make sure I got a few good photos of her with her stocking. I was hoping to put her in it, but I apparently made the stocking too small and the baby too big. We tried to stuff her in but couldn't get it up over her belly. I have one terrible shot of her wearing it like a mermaid tail, which was hilarious in itself, but we changed course and made it work.



 
I had also made sure that Ivy had some Christmas jammies to open on Christmas Eve and to wear on Christmas morning. So even though that didn't happen, I cheated and took a few photos the morning before we sent the Christmas tree back to the North Pole.

 Because who can resist Santa buns??

6 comments:

  1. I love those maternity shots with Alice! You (and your hair) look beautiful and the silhouette is just lovely. You should frame one! I also love the idea of staying in the picture as a resolution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks. Now I'm blushing! More to come on that resolution...

      Delete
  2. ahhhh!!!! i was so into all of these and then....the BUNS. oh, man. that just put me over the edge.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, the buns will do that to a mama!!

      Delete
  3. Whoa - the sister photo shoot is too much cute. Eli was enchanted while he looked through the pictures. He kept saying, "Oh, Alice is a cute girl!" and then when he saw Ivy, he said, "Oh, that's my sister. She's a baby." What the what? Anyway, these pictures are gorgeous. Whoever your friend is that helped with the shoot, she's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's adorable. Perhaps Eli needs a sister of his own...?? He can borrow Ivy in the meantime, no pressure =)

      Thanks for the sweet words about the photos, I'll make sure to heap the praise on my friend - I could not have done it without her!! Though I might try another shoot this weekend, I hope I can manage on my own!

      Delete

I love to hear from you! Kind words only, please...