Friday, December 7, 2012

Christmas Wish List: Mama in the Kitchen

I have a few serious weaknesses, including cameras and cookbooks. So far, I've managed not to indulge my penchant for photography gear, as the price tags are often prohibitive. Cookbooks are another story...

While I'm home on maternity leave, I'd love to go through the ones on my shelf and see if we can find some new family favorites to fold into our rotation. This year, I've been drooling over a few brand-new books by some of my favorite food bloggers, and dreaming of a few high-quality tools and ingredients that my cupboards are missing. Perhaps there's something here your favorite cook would love, too!

fig. 1: Dinner, A Love Story by Jenny Rosenstrach - I love the DALS blog and would love this resource on my cookbook shelf to aid in the never ending quest to feed a family, including a picky toddler.
fig. 2: Some great salt, like Maldon sea salt and these finishing salts from Williams-Sonoma. And
fig. 3: This lovely salt keeper to go with! From Williams-Sonoma
fig. 4: Waring Quik Stik Immersion Blender - I've resisted getting one for years but I can no longer deny that I make enough dishes where it would be super useful and save me a lot of time.
fig. 5: Benriner Japanese Mandoline Slicer - Another one I've resisted but have recently found myself wishing for more and more.
fig. 6: The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook by Deb Perelman - I love the Smitten Kitchen blog and have read enough wonderful praise of the cookbook that I know it deserves a spot on my shelf and would give me a number of trusty and delicious go-to recipes.
fig. 7: Parents Need to Eat Too by Debbie Koenig - I love this family-friendly food blog and know this book would be a valuable tool in our family's meal planning!
fig. 8: Kauai cutting board - Totally Bamboo - We need a nice, big, wooden cutting/serving board but don't have room to store much (I'd love a legit, end-grain chopping block some day!). I like that this is big enough to be useful, but thin enough to slip into one of our cabinets, or on top of the microwave when not in use. Plus, it's sustainable and pretty enough to use on the table!
fig. 9: Pure Komachi 2 Series Chef's Knife - I hear great things about this super affordable knife. I need a more professional and reliable option to move beyond my favorite $2.99 IKEA knife that I've been using for years...
fig. 10: Some great olive oil, like Katz Chef's Pick EVO or something from McEvoy Ranch, and an Olive oil cruet like this one from Sur La Table
fig. 11: Silicone spatulas like those from Williams-Sonoma. I am woefully bereft of mini spatulas.
fig. 12: Nielsen-Massey vanilla, from Williams-Sonoma. For when desserts really need a top-notch, stand-out vanilla flavor.
fig. 13: Joy the Baker Cookbook by Joy Wilson - Joy's blog is delicious and I have no doubt her new cookbook is as well. Because you can never have too many delicious recipes at your fingertips!

What about you? Any cookbooks or kitchen gadgets on your wish list this year? Have you cooked from any of these blogs or books?  

3 comments:

  1. I am dying to get the Smitten Kitchen cookbook!
    It was so good to see you at the park. You look great! Enjoy your last few weeks before the storm. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll take anything/everything on the list above along with a Le Creuset dutch oven. In a pretty red or orange preferably :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leah, we LOVE our Le Creuset dutch oven. We have the orange! It was my gift to Jon a few Christmases ago, though I'm the primary user. The real gift is the many delicious things I cook for him =) Totally worth the investment!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Kind words only, please...