Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Decorating Pumpkins

Alice has been asking to "decorate the pumpkins" since we brought them home from the pumpkin patch. I wanted to wait until closer to Halloween, so I managed to hold her off for a week by letting her "decorate" our house with them. She'd line them up at the fireplace, load them into any handy tote bag, box, or other receptacle, transport them to a different room, and then "decorate" them into a line somewhere else. 

The bench, "decorated" with pumpkins.
So finally, this past weekend, Alice finally got to "decorate" our pumpkins. I masked off a jack-o-lantern face on her pretty, white pumpkin and set her up with some acrylic paint. I stripped her down to minimize paint damage/clean up, but I should have known that my dainty, meticulous child would have only two tiny smudges of paint on her little fingers. Nary a stray drop anywhere else!
all ready to get started.

and her pumpkin, masked and ready to go.




the first stroke.


 While Alice painted, Jon and I got busy carving up our pumpkins.

a blank canvas.


Alice helped watched, and then used her little safety scissors to cut construction paper into confetti while we finished up. Just before we called it a success, though, Jon went to clean up the paper bag of pumpkin guts and the soggy bottom fell out just as he lifted it off the table. It made a fantastic mess all over the floor which drove Alice to tears ("clean it up! clean it UP!"). I calmed her down while Jon transferred all of the pumpkin guts into a sturdier plastic bag and Alice repeated "Daddy spilled the seeds!" over and over and over. It was, as Alice says, hilarious...
We caught some rays of afternoon sun streaming in our window to give us a preview of our freshly carved pumpkins, and enjoyed their glow while we watched It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown and ate Trader Joe's kettle corn cookies and drank apple cider. It was a pretty marvelous afternoon. As soon as we put the pumpkins on the fireplace, Alice proclaimed that we could now get a Christmas tree (I think she's confused by the simultaneous Halloween/Christmas displays at the hardware stores she frequents with Jon...). But yes, Alice. Soon, we will get a Christmas tree.

Ten points for anyone who can identify the characters on our pumpkins!
jack-o-lanterns glow in the afternoon sun
our pumpkins, at night.
 What did you carve on your pumpkins? Everyone ready for Halloween? Have a festive day tomorrow and a safe night of celebrations!


10 comments:

  1. Bert and Lucifer, of course! This looks like such a fun pumpkin carving day! Happy Halloween Senges and little night cat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bert! And that looks like Lucifer from Cinderella? Those are some seriously legit pumpkins, guys. Alice's too! I love that she got so upset about the spilled guts :)Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two winners!! I think Jon's Bert is totally impressive, I definitely printed a template for Lucifer! Happy Halloween to you guys! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait... am I missing Alice's finished pumpkin?

    And your Bert and Lucifer are INCREDIBLE. I always feel the desire to carve pumpkins ON Halloween, but never before. =/ I should plan to just buy two or three every year no matter what.

    Plus: templates are the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing wrong with carving ON Halloween, I just knew we wouldn't be able to squeeze it all in! I like it better when Halloween is on like, Sunday or Monday =)...

      Delete
  5. How come Alice has a prettier "messy bun" than most grown women? That girl has gorgeous hair (among other gorgeous features)!

    You guys really out-smarted most parents (like me) by letting her paint a pumpkin too. Our kids did a lot of poking with the poker stick on already cut pumpkin pieces haha. Parents of the year?!

    Hope you have a great Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know where Alice got her amazing curls. I am seriously so jealous of her hair... And I definitely didn't come up with the pumpkin painting idea myself, I think I've seen it on Young House Love for a few years now, they always have great, kid-friendly pumpkins!

      I hope you guys have fun tonight!!

      Delete
  6. I too noticed Alice's perfect messy bun! So cute! My favorite part of this was "Daddy spilled the seeds!"! So adorably funny. What a festive post. I'm going to use that pumpkin painting idea for Soren next year too! Happy Halloween guys! XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. She's worried now that "Daddy spilled the seeds"? Wait till she sees the baby! Oh, wait. You meant the pumpkin seeds. Never mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought Alice's comment about the seeds was hilariously apropros... I'll explain it when she's older! =)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Kind words only, please...