Monday, August 6, 2012

Sisters

image found here
So it's official - I've seen it with my own eyes twice now - Alice is getting a little sister for Christmas! We weren't hoping for anything more than the other, but Jon and I have both said we feel that we're meant to be parents to daughters. I guess we were right!

Sisters are really something special, and I am really happy that we'll have daughters who get to experience that relationship. I hope that their closeness in age will translate into a close relationship from the beginning, so they can enjoy all the benefits of sisterhood their whole life.

My best friend got teary when she found out and told me how much having sisters meant to her growing up. My own sister also got teary, and I hope it's because our relationship means something special to her, too. No one makes me laugh harder than my sister, and no one understands the things that make me laugh the way she does. I don't know what I would do if I didn't have someone to laugh about our parents with, or to laugh about things that no one else finds funny. 

I hope my daughters have that in each other. I hope that Jon and I can help ensure that there is more laughter than sibling rivalry in our house. I hope I can teach Alice how important it is to be a big sister, and to be a better big sister than I was growing up. Here's to sisters, a little bit of childhood that can never be lost.

Me & my baby sister.

6 comments:

  1. Sister dear - I would say it is an understatement that our relationship means something special to me. But that is definitely why I got teary. And of course because there's going to be another baby girl in the family for us to love!

    Let's do some laughing soon. Maybe starting with how hilarious this photo is? I like the combination of raw fear+excitement+joy in my eyes.. pretty much the same way I feel toward you now :)

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laugh about our parents with? Maybe about Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, Shan. Now I'm teary... Your expression is totally my favorite part of this photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is absolutely nothing like having a sister. I know, for me, there were a lot of really (really really) bad fights scattered around in all those good times we had together growing up, but the benefit of making it through those years is being able to have the unbreakable, unrivaled bond that we have now as adults.

    And since Alice and Sister Senge will be so close in age, I can definitely attest that she will never be without a friend, confidant, or good old-fashioned reality check. :)

    Congratulations to you and Jon, but mostly, congratulations to Alice! She is very lucky indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my goodness...alice looks exactly like you!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Kind words only, please...