Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Alice in Pumpkin Land

We had a chance to enjoy one of our favorite new holiday traditions last weekend and took Alice for her second visit to the pumpkin patch. We had such a good time last year, we didn't even need to think twice about where to go. Plus, the drive out to Lombardi Ranch was the perfect excuse to test out our new car on a windy/bumpy road!

We were all excited to hit "the open road," but accelerating up the on-ramp was about as fast as I'd get to go for while. Apparently, this fatal motorcycle accident happened almost exactly as we were getting on the freeway. We wondered about all the motorcycles that were passing us but had no idea about the annual "Love Ride" that was in progress. Between the already awful interchange, the poorly organized major construction happening on that stretch of freeway, regular L.A. traffic AND several thousand motorcycles, it all adds up to a recipe for disaster. It took us about an hour and a half to go about 4 miles. My takeaway? Don't ride motorcycles, kids.

Anyway, Alice used up all her good behavior while we were sitting in traffic, so it was a good thing we'd planned to stop for lunch before the patch. We had our first taste of Habit Burger during last year's trip, and now it's part of the tradition! Everyone recharged with sweet potato fries and then we were on our way again.

The farm was much busier this weekend than on Halloween Sunday last year, and the thermometer was somewhere near 92 degrees, so we tried to be quick about our business. I'd hoped to take a photo of Alice amongst all the sunflowers like last year, but they were all dead and droopy and looked more like the ominous scarecrows nestled between their stalks. So we moved on to the fields of pumpkins for our photo ops.

 
Alice had a great time walking along the rows of pumpkins. She smacked them all, tried to lift them and pushed and rolled them all about. She made her selection pretty quickly and made sure dad knew which one we'd be taking home. 

"this one, please."
 This year, she didn't cry about sitting in the dirt and she didn't even care that she got her dress dirty! Or maybe she just didn't notice... She loves wearing her costume and we couldn't resist bringing it along for some cute photos. We did a quick change and got a few shots, even though her cheeks were getting a little a warm and pink. 
the cutest little giraffe i ever saw...
I don't know if it was the tail or the hood throwing off her groove, but she did lose her balance and topple over sideways into the dirt. The whole side of her costume was filthy and Jon said, "Surely this is machine washable, right?" And I said, "Surely, it must be." In fact, the tag says HAND WASH ONLY. Who does that??? So now I'm debating whether it's riskier to wash it by hand, try it in the machine's delicate cycle, or just tell people that giraffes live in the dirt, yo. 
a flying giraffe! wheeee!
All in all, it was a great little afternoon trip and Alice enjoyed herself much more than last year. We went from this:




to this:

How about you guys? Have you visited the pumpkin patch yet? Carved your pumpkins??

5 comments:

  1. Oh my god. Look at all those adorable teeth.

    We're doing a pumpkin patch/apple picking adventure this weekend over at Riley's Farms. We did it last year and had enough apples for two pies and a batch of applesauce. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word, that costume! I know you probably hear this constantly Erin, but she looks so much like you. Glad you all had fun!

    We went to the pumpkin patch last Wednesday but haven't come around to carving anything yet. I found this cute idea on pinterest...

    http://pinterest.com/pin/357852724/

    ...I'm not really the artsy type, the kids don't exactly understand it yet, and carving isn't really my thing. But I thought this was nifty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love that little giraffe! What adorable photos! And don't worry about the dirt - giraffes love dirt, they hate cinnamon.

    I can't believe it's been a year already. I remember last year's photos as if it were just a few weeks back.

    Some time in the next few years we need to plan a trip to a patch together! I'll bring the song from Robin Hood, you bring the churros.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elissa - she has a FULL set of teeth. She will bite you. And she just learned how to eat sliced apples with all those teeth, so maybe we'll go apple picking next year!

    Leah - I love those pumpkins! I've seen so many good ideas on Pinterest, including carving with cookie cutters. I think that would be super fun for littler kids too. It makes me want to get out the spray paint, cookie cutters, drills and twinkle lights and try it all!! But I probably won't....

    Kristen - Giraffe Alice is in trouble because she LOVES cinnamon. I totally wanted to go to Joan's while we were up there and forgot. That would have been so fun with the kiddos! Next year? I will BRING the churros. With cinnamon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so so cute. there is just something about pumpkin patches, isn't there?

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Kind words only, please...