Friday, August 19, 2011

Faces in Space (and on a jet)

In honor of National Aviation Day, the Walt Disney Family Museum has an interesting post on a little-known bit of history between Walt Disney and Roald Dahl.


And I thought it would also be appropriate to share a little of Jon's love of aviation!


Jon writes:
young Jon, learning to fly
For those new to our lives, I’m a certified aviation nut. It’s something I’ve been obsessed with for most of my life—I even started to fly with high hopes and intentions of one day becoming an airline pilot. I did eventually realize that didn’t jive with the type of homebody I am, constantly wanting to be close to those I love. I suppose I hadn’t felt that when I was considering that life path. Long story short, I am not an airline pilot, but the love obsession continues. Not a day goes by that I don’t look up. More evidence? We have a small-ish airport a few miles away that a number of major airlines service, that undoubtedly every neighbor of ours wishes would disappear. Not me. Our realtor had the easiest time with us. We actually considered properties for their view and exposure to the flight paths. And now, I have an unobstructed view of every departure. Now that you have a little background, you'll know why the rest of this post is so exciting for me.
Jon & the Concorde, at Seattle's Museum of Flight
Last September, I signed Alice and I up to have our “faces” travel on one of the last Space Shuttle missions. They took a hard drive with photo files of all the participants’ faces on it along for the ride and back. Ours flew on STS-134, Endeavour’s final flight, which also happens to be the ship that Los Angeles’ very own California Science Center will receive for a permanent static display in the near future.
I also happened to see a little Facebook contest put on by KLM Royal Dutch Airlines a couple of months back to “Delft Yourself” for a chance to have your face on the side of one of their airplanes along with 4,000 of your new Delft friends. I gave it a go and they picked mine! While this face will never see what my face in space saw, it will be on one special KLM 777 and travel the world. 

The Facebook contest preview of my face in Delft.
They even sent me a video of my Delft tile being applied to the plane. Here are a few screen grabs:


and a shot of the tiled plane
And here's a link to a full shot of the plane.
Oh, and the quote, it says, “Keep Moving Forward.” Which is the truncated version of Walt Disney’s: 
“Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”
And speaking of aviation, we're looking for a cute outfit for Alice's first plane trip. Maybe something like this, from The Boeing Store:
And since they don't sell onesies with this slogan, she'll just have to wear this sticker, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Kind words only, please...