Friday, May 20, 2011

Happy 1st Birthday, Alice!!



Dearest Alice, 


I can't believe you are a year old today. It seems like only yesterday we were anxious for you to arrive, watching your due date approach and then pass, and then wondering every day after if it would be your birthday. We were holding our breath; our lives on hold, suspended in anticipation, jittery and bored with waiting.


And then, you were finally here. You were born at 11:59am and the first thing you heard was one of my favorite songs ever of all time. The first thing I heard was your fierce and angry cry. I'm sure you would have rather stayed where you were, but we were so happy to finally see you. I was so busy listening to your strong and healthy lungs that I forgot to tell everyone the name we chose for you.


You were perfect from the beginning. Even the doctor said so. He said you were a remarkably cute newborn. You didn't look like you were beaten up to be born. To us, you were perfect. And you've been perfect every day since (except for the times when you weren't, and then it was probably our fault).


I am honored that I get to be your mama, and feel so lucky that you're mine. You make me want to be the best person I can be so that I can help you be the best person you can be. You've made our lives and our love complete and have brought so much purpose and worth to everything we do, more than I could have ever understood before becoming a parent. I can't imagine our lives without you and can't wait to see what else you have in store for us.


We have big plans for your first birthday but before any of that, we'll take a moment at 11:59am to put on Paul Simon's "You Can Call Me Al," and remember how our lives changed forever one year ago today. 


Happy 1st Birthday to my little big girl baby girl!




1 comment:

  1. Happy 1st birthday, Alice! Enjoy your birthday festivities this weekend!

    And many more to come!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Kind words only, please...