Monday, July 26, 2010

I don't get out much...



The only thing I needed to do today was take a trip to Costco to buy cereal so I could eat breakfast tomorrow. Around 9am, I started thinking I should get my act together. By 10am, I was showered and almost ready to go, but Alice needed to eat. There was gas, there were diapers, there was more eating and more gas, and some fussing, more diapers, more fussing... It was 12:30 by the time I walked out the door.
As I was gathering my things, I spied my new credit card on the desk where it has been laying since it arrived in the mail a few days ago (and by days, I probably mean weeks). Because the old card expires in August and the new one has a new security code, the old one I’ve been carrying around won’t work (and probably hasn’t in some time) but I haven’t had any need to use it recently. Anyway, I popped the new card in my wallet and removed the old card. I didn’t take the time to shred it just then, I stashed it in a drawer instead. 
So we finally made it to Costco and moseyed around for a while. Alice fell alseep en route to the registers, and I was jealous. It wasn’t until the check out machine was rejecting my card that I realized I had taken out my DEBIT card and left my old credit card in my wallet along with the new one. Since Costco doesn’t accept credit, I had no choice but to abandon my cereal and go home. I almost cried.
On our way out of the store, I rolled the cart over the red band of bumps in the fire lane. The look on Alice’s face as her eyes snapped open and her cheeks jiggled furiously was absolutely priceless. She fell back asleep immediately. I laughed out loud like a maniac all the way to the car, and decided the trip was worth my time after all. I’m just glad my debit card was waiting at home, safe in the drawer where I stashed it. Maybe I should leave the house more often...

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I love it. Especially that by days, you probably meant weeks. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Kind words only, please...